• (080)48903693
  • Bangalore | Ahmedabad | Hyderabad
  • Mon - Fri 9.00 - 18.00

If you are an internationally qualified nurse or midwife (IQNM) and are interested in working in Australia, it is important you review the following important information about immigration to Australia, and registration and employment as a nurse or midwife in Australia.

To work as a nurse or midwife in Australia, you need to apply for and be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA). You may also need to apply for a visa issued by the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

More information on visa applications, including skills assessments and assessing authorities is available on the Australian Department of Home Affairs – Immigration and citizenship website.


Applicants who have the legal authority to practise as a nurse or midwife in New Zealand are subject to certain entitlements under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997 (Cth) and should apply for registration with the National Board using the following form:

Nursing and Midwifery Board – Form – Application for Trans Tasman mutual recognition – ATMR-40 (519 KB,PDF)


The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) is an independent organisation gazetted by the Minister for Immigration (pursuant to the Migration Act 1958, Regulations Amendment 1999, 2.228) to perform skills assessment for migration purposes. ANMAC assesses the skills of IQNMs who want to migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration program – see Skilled migration services on the ANMAC website.

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) assesses applications for registration from internationally qualified nurses and midwives on behalf of the NMBA. The NMBA is governed by the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law (National Law) as in force in each state and territory and is responsible for the final decision on each application.

ANMAC takes into consideration work experience in assessing an applicant’s qualifications, which is then used to determine suitability for skilled migration. Under the National Law, the NMBA can only take into account an applicant’s qualifications when establishing whether their qualifications are substantially equivalent to an Australian qualification. This is why some applicants may be approved for skilled migration but do not meet the registration requirements of the NMBA.

International applicants must meet the registration standards and qualification criteria in order to be eligible for registration.


There are a lot of Canadian immigration options for nurses to choose from. As a nurse, you may be qualified to come to Canada as a skilled worker though one of the many economic immigration programs at both the federal and provincial level.

Neither Ahpra nor the NMBA are involved in employment matters and we are therefore unable to assist you in seeking employment or influencing employment outcomes. However, it is important to be aware that any health practitioner must hold registration with the relevant National Board prior to taking up employment in Australia in their profession

For some internationally qualified nurses and midwives the preference may be to undertake further education here in Australia and upgrading your existing qualification by completing a NMBA approved program of study. Programs that lead to General registration can be found:

It must be noted that entry into a chosen program is subject to the entry requirements detailed by each education provider and neither Ahpra nor the NMBA are involved in this process. It is recommended you discuss any questions you may have directly with the chosen provider.


Official Requirements for Overseas Doctors, Midwives and Nurses in Australia


There are a number of procedures that overseas nurses and midwives should comply with before they are eligible to work in Australia.

Anybody wishing to work as a midwife or nurse in Australia must register with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA). On the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia’s website, you can find all the information you need regarding the registration process, renewal dates and costs. Application forms are also available here, as well as details about the NMBA’s standards, codes and guidelines.

As part of the registration process, you will need to undergo a criminal record check, provide proof of your English language proficiency, and submit evidence regarding your qualifications and how recently you have practised.

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia is under the control of the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). The AHPRA is the body that will grant your registration. Please note that if you get your registration, it will be valid for every state in Australia. To find out more about the AHPRA, please visit their website.

If you receive your registration, you will still need to meet Australia’s visa and immigration requirements. Your Visa will be issued by Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection. Information about Australian visa requirements and the immigration process can be found on their website.

Anybody seeking a nursing or midwifery job in Australia will need to undergo a skills assessment as part of the immigration process. The skills assessment will be conducted by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC), an independent organisation which operates in conjunction with the Australian Government’s General Skilled Migration Programme.

The skills assessment process should take around 8 weeks. Please note that applicants are charged fees to undergo this process. To pass the skills assessment, you will need to provide proof of identity and evidence of English language proficiency, and to hold medical qualifications which are accepted in Australia. It is preferable if you have practised in the last five years and you need to be able to demonstrate that you are fit to practise.

Please note that completing the skills assessment is an entirely separate process to registering with the NMBA and that overseas applicants seeking nursing or midwifery jobs in Australia must undergo both processes.

Full details of the skills assessment process are available on the ANMAC Website.

Some nurses or midwives may wish to apply under the Employer Nomination Scheme Occupational List (ENSOL) rather than the General Skilled Migration Programme. Such individuals need to have been nominated for a job, in an occupational area that appears in the ENSOL, by an Australian employer. More details about ENSOL can be found here.

E4U GLOBAL Consultancy is a leading education and migration consultant established in India with a vision to bring the best opportunities to those who dream abroad. We provide all comprehensive services and support to students who aspire to study in leading universities around the world.

0 +
Enrolled Learners
0 +
Classes Completed
0 +
Satisfaction Rate

Get in touch!

405, 5th Main Rd, HRBR Layout 2nd Block, Stage, Kalyan Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560043

© 2022 IE4U Global Pvt. Ltd. All Rights Reserved